In October 2020, we launched a unique immersive theatrical experience. Via USPS and email, we sent audience members the theatrical building blocks to experience three short plays in the comfort of their own homes. With cut-out characters affixed to popsicle sticks and an animated video, participants traveled to the soon-to-be-lost continent of Atlantis, where citizens protested an unpopular government mandate in Against Sand. Next, garden drawings became a game board as an audio play guided participants on A Shiny Quest with a gnome to find the sparkliest plastic stone. And in The Art of a Guest, with cut-out characters in hand, printed art becomes a backdrop and a journal: a potential partnership was drawn to life as participants immersed themselves in an audio play and turned each page.
- Concept by Lisa Wagner Erickson
- Written and produced by Tami Canaday, Lisa Wagner Erickson, and Ellen K. Graham
- Sound and Animation Design by John Aden (sound and animation) and Veronica Straight-Lingo (sound design)
- Artwork by John Aden, , Shane Rodriguez, and Sara Rockinger
- Featuring the talents of Bevin Antea, James Brunt, Terry Burnsed, Sean Michael Cummings, Emily Fisher, Tresha Farris, Amber Irish, Michael McFadden, and Veronica Straight-Lingo
Westword: Events You Won’t Want To Miss This Fall
- Project PlayBox: ”The project is not only DIY and immersive; it’s also a testament to the creative ways that theater artists are finding to connect with the community. “